Sunday, September 6, 2009
These days everyone is trynna be a legend. I wonder why… Being legendary means that people expect a lot from you. But can a human being be legendary 24/7? I'm not sure. That D.O.A. track made me expect a lot. I really started believing that The Blueprint 3 would be a milestone in the hip-hop history. Jigga talked so much about the state of the music industry and other stuff like that, but the album didn't really meet my expectations. The strongest joints on the Blueprint 3 are “Empire State of Mind”, “Run This Town”, “D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune)”, and  A Star Is Born”. Controversial, uncompromising, fresh, rebellious point of view has always been an essential characteristic feature of the hip-hop movement and D.O.A. delivered it without a doubt. Have you ever asked yourself “Why was hip-hop born in NYC?”.  New York is a place that will kill you or crown you, so it's up to your stamina and the gangsta blood in your veins. Can you relax under pressure? Do you know how it is to be a soul survivor? If yes, then put you hands up, cuz “Empire State of Mind” is for you. No one can be so low key, soulful and diva at the same time; no one but Alicia Keys. She always adds something very special to every song; baby-girl killed this track. Empire state of mind  presupposes another feature of hip-hop - competitiveness. No matter how much of a king or queen you are today, it doesn't mean that tomorrow a new cat won't take your spot over. The question “Who's gonna Run This Town tonight?” is one of the strongest motivations in this game. Everyday A Star Is Born. No matter how much we respect our pioneers and veterans, new blood is exactly what keeps rap alive. Maybe right now future Rakim, 2Pac or BIG is spitting his 16 bars in the middle of the street somewhere in the Bronx or Harlem, or maybe this is future Queen Latifah or MC Lyte… I can't wait to see the day when artists earn the right to say whatever they wanna say on their records. And I don't wanna hear that this or that thang won't be commercially successful. It's HIP-HOP! We don't need radio-stations or major labels to promote a shit. If it's something real, it will create a buzz on its own: from block to block, hood to hood, worldwide. A lot of people are scared of recession, but every cloud has a silver lining… or maybe even platinum (You get my drift?). The more major labels chase paper, the more people tend to support independent artists. If I were a rapper, I would record “D.O.I. Death of the Industry”. Death is not the end…it is a new beginning. And I swear I smell this new beginning in the air. I wonder how cats like Hova, Diddy, Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent, The Game, Ludacris, T.I. and others would sound if they were completely independent and free from that “industry mentality”. In the words of Coretta Scott King “Struggle is a never ending process. Freedom is never really won; you earn it and win it in every generation”. So hip-hop nation stand up! It's our time!

I used 2 ♥ him

Common used to love H.E.R. & I used to love H.I.M. (Hip-hop Is My Muse) ... but true love never dies ... this is my L.O.V.E. S.T.O.R.Y.

Music

About Me

They call me Janus cuz I’m a little bit of every opposition. I’m quiet & loud, happy & sad, cocky and shy, rough & ladylike… but most of all I’m hip-hop. I started this blog to share my thoughts and ideas with the world, so feel free to leave your comments and to holla at me. Welcome to my world! Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/ms__lady