Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hip-Hop community has always been a secret society w/ its own code. But ever since the culture stopped being a ghetto secret, a lot of “laws” have been questioned. Eventually, today we've got lots of controversy in the game. Without a doubt ghostwriting is one of the most controversial phenomena. Discussing this issue has been like some kind of taboo for years. A lot of people still argue if ghostwriting is a positive or negative phenomenon in Hip-Hop.

First off, there are two totally different “types” of ghostwriting. The history of Hip-Hop knows lots of cases when a successful artist ghostwrote songs for others, either to prove his lyrical skills or to express himself differently participating in “unique” projects. Emcees like Nas, Jadakiss, The Game, Jay-Z, Mase, Smitty, T.I., The D.O.C., Royce Da 5’9” & many others ghostwrote “a song or two” in their careers. This kind of “collabo” can also be a great way for up-and-coming artists to become well connected & well respected inside of the industry, since sometimes the rap game is more about who you know than who you are & being supported by heavyweights can play a huge role in artist’s career.

But every medal has its reverse & the music industry often creates a mirage. It takes a person w/ certain “star qualities” like marketable face & personality, nice delivery and creates a “star” when in reality that “artist” has nothing to do w/ emceeing.

This “Poet vs. Entertainer” issue is exactly what bothers Hip-Hop community so much. Hip-Hop culture… and rap music in particular is a lot more than just entertainment. Emcees have always been ghetto poets, people who could make a difference using the power of the spoken word. Emceeing is all about being a multitalented player… real MVP. You can't be just a good performer or just a good lyricist or just a “natural-born star”. Nah, it's not the case. The rap game is a survival of the illest. Only chosen ones came to the game, changed it & stayed there forever. 

So who's a ghostwriter? Is he a friend or a foe? At this moment, ghostwriters indisputably are the warriors of the invisible front called lyricism. The rap game doesn't recognize being #2; it has no mercy for everything fake. That's why rappers come & go but emcees stay forever and ghostwriting is just a new level of the game called ”Hip-Hop Vs. The Industry”. I bet y'all already know who's gonna win…

I used 2 ♥ him

Common used to love H.E.R. & I used to love H.I.M. (Hip-hop Is My Muse) ... but true love never dies ... this is my L.O.V.E. S.T.O.R.Y.

Music

About Me

They call me Janus cuz I’m a little bit of every opposition. I’m quiet & loud, happy & sad, cocky and shy, rough & ladylike… but most of all I’m hip-hop. I started this blog to share my thoughts and ideas with the world, so feel free to leave your comments and to holla at me. Welcome to my world! Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/ms__lady