Friday, June 11, 2010
          When do you know that an artist is outstanding? If I was asked this question I would say, when his music can talk to my heart in such unknown but still so familiar “language”. And most definitely Young Solomon is one of those artists whose music & voice can do something amazingly crazy to your soul. New School artist w/ Old School soul, he carries on his family’s legacy with such a grace bringing R&B to another level. Being driven by true love for music, Solomon has mad work ethic & never stops perfecting his craft. His every performance takes you on a journey to another world… the world created by the soulfulness & honesty of his voice. Incredible vocalist, performer, songwriter, actor… without a doubt Young Solomon is one of thee most promising R&B artists of our time.

A few days ago Young Solomon & I had a chance to talk and here some highlights of our interview…

On who Young Solomon is…

“He is an aspiring artist trying to change the message being placed in the world of music… still having lil fun w/ it …he’s a hardworker and dedicated to his craft… a student of the game before one day being not only a teacher but the principle”

On his style…

“I’ve heard that I’m a Mario mixed w/ Usher. Younger I was compared to John Legend or stuff like that cuz I had a lil bit scratchy voice… but as far as what makes me different from other artists I feel like I’m a lil bit more humble & realistic when it comes to being natural… I got the drive from above that just makes me stay dedicated to having my own voice… I have stickism. I can stick to it. I’m not a quitter”

On choosing music as a career…

“God gave me a gift so I feel like He gave me this gift to use it to draw people in it … I can add to it. I can start playing instruments, I can be a poet. I feel like singing in the music business is just another avenue & my music is an instrument… music itself is just a tool; it depends on how you use it… To change the world is one thing that I wanna do”

On his biggest influences…

“His fam: Solomon Burke (grandfather), Melanie Burke (mother), Novel (brother);

Michel Jackson, John Legend, Kim Burrell, Smokie Norful, Babyface, Joe, Trey Songz, R.Kelly, Jodeci…”

On the qualities that make an artist outstanding…

“Stickism, just being “stick to it” kind of guy; insanity… just rehearsal, performance is key; just being yourself. An outstanding artist to me is somebody who doesn’t mind doing whatever he wanna do on stage… just going out there & feeding it to the people & giving it to them & making them like it; having great voice, of course… gorgeous (voice), being able to deliver very well. You gotta be your own person”

On his dream track w/ dream team…

Young Solomon feat. Michael Jackson, Chris Brown, Trey Songs, Beyonce prod by Quincy Jones and/or Babyface, Tricky Stewart and, of course, Novel… “w/ that kind of team it can be anything”

Old School Vs. New School…

“I’m an Old School R&B kind of person… Trey (Songz) brought it back to ladies but I feel like it’s not the same cuz growing up it was more about keeping a lady or being dedicated to her, now it’s just about… it’s more about sex & that’s cool and everything but you wanna tell her how much you wanna mean to her & not how much you wanna do it to her… the Old School is definitely better”

On if music is his love or passion…

“I would say passion cuz you can’t have passion without having love…”

On Hip-Hop…

“I listen to a lot of Hip-Hop... I grew up listening to Hip-Hop… which pretty much expresses… you know stories… you know Biggie, Tupac… those guys told stories and influenced the world & that always had something to do w/ me.

Hip-Hop is doing its thing right now… you can’t stop a poet.. poet is gonna attack hearts constantly

Before I actually came out as a singer I was rapping…”

On his goals…

To learn more about the game… “I’ve got a goal without knowing what’s behind it right now… I don’t really have a plan… but I wanna be maybe like A&R or something… I wanna be the big man”

On his debut album…

“Last summer me & Novel got together & worked on a few records w/ Cristyle, Paulina Citzman, Infinity… so we’re working hard… it’s coming, it’s coming. It’s gonna be Pop & R&B of course… little Soul”

On his type of song aka “comfort zone”…

“Anything that gives a message… I just wanna let people know that it’s alright to be yourself”

On longevity in the music business…

“I think the thing that gets people to bounce or just not last is they don’t have stickism… I think you gotta love it to stick w/ it becuz when you love something it’s just like being a part of a family. Like, of course, your family is gonna do some things to piss you off but if you love them you look past that & look at that ultimate thing that there’s love there… people lose love for the craft… people don’t know why they are doing it or they are doing it for the wrong reasons”

On the best advice on how to make it in the game…

“Just stick to it. (I was told to) Always work my heart to sing my every song like it’s my last song…”


You can listen to the full interview here

Imma leave y’all w/ my favorite performance by my boy Young Sol. It’s a cover version of Stevie Wonder’s “Isn't she lovely”. I truly believe that if you can sing a classic song better than the original performer that’s when you got what it takes to be the best of the best. And Sol definitely added something so special to this song. He simply killed it… 

You can also catch Y.Sol singing and acting in on Friday June 18th 2010 at Methodist University's Reeve's Auditorium called "Grandma's Cabaret" to raise for money for abused and forgotten children. 


For more Young Solomon check out his myspace, twitter & youtube pages.

I used 2 ♥ him

Common used to love H.E.R. & I used to love H.I.M. (Hip-hop Is My Muse) ... but true love never dies ... this is my L.O.V.E. S.T.O.R.Y.

Music

About Me

They call me Janus cuz I’m a little bit of every opposition. I’m quiet & loud, happy & sad, cocky and shy, rough & ladylike… but most of all I’m hip-hop. I started this blog to share my thoughts and ideas with the world, so feel free to leave your comments and to holla at me. Welcome to my world! Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/ms__lady